Friday 30 March 2012

The colours of Autumn

Autumn showed us its many colours today. Eager to get out of the house and say hello to nature, Max and I ventured out to the Botanic Gardens.

As we strolled through the wrought iron gates, we breathed in the smell of green. That fresh, morning scent that can only come from newly cut grass weaved its way through our lungs, and with every step we took deeper into the garden, and with every breath, autumn said hello.

A very friendly little boy offered us a slice of his bread to throw to the ducks. It was such a kind gesture I didn’t have the heart to show him the signs scattered around the pond “DO NOT FEED BREAD TO THE DUCKS.” Apparently it can cause Avarian Botulism.  This was Max’s first real look at a live duck and his little body shook with infantile excitement. It was beautiful to watch.


As we meandered up the winding cobbled path, there were fallen pink flower petals littering the way. I explained to Max that there lived a lovely lizard, just up ahead. We would be lucky to see him today as clouds hid the sun. Lizards love to warm their bodies in the sun, none more than this little one.  Sure enough, there he was, camouflaged in the dry, fallen leaves, a hundred shades of brown masking his presence. I pointed him out to Max, but I don’t think he could see it. I must think of a name for him. Lazy Lizard?


The loud CRACK of thunder overhead causes me to pause and reconsider our plans. Should I get out the picnic rug after all? The clouds are a heavy grey, blanketing the sky.

I decided to head back to the car, but on the way the warm sun poked through the clouds. Oh, maybe just for a minute we’ll sit and eat some watermelon. Of course, the watermelon juice traces a winding trail down Max’s chin, a sign perhaps of his enjoyment?

Silly me, I tried to take our picture. Why is it I’m not in very many at all? That’s right. Because his little hand grabs eagerly at the camera, every time.


A bee lands on our blanket. I guess it’s our sign that it’s time to go. What a glorious day. Why would I want to be anywhere but here, with my beautiful son?



Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message!



2 comments:

  1. Hey there, well, I found you! The premise of your blog is really great, I've lived through the transition from corporate climber to mummy hood too and it definitely took me awhile to find a happy medium between the two that worked for me. I've blogged about this topic a few times and been astounded by the interest and differing opinions that flowed back:
    http://parkconfessional.com/nice-girls-dont-get-the-corner-office-and-oth
    http://parkconfessional.com/the-male-perspective-on-mums-after-maternity
    I love the clarity of your writing voice and think it is fantastic that you are hero-ing issues that affect so many mums. Keep writing, I will keep checking in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm so glad you found me too! Thanks so much for your message of support. It really does mean a lot. I read your posts. Wow, the one regarding the redundancy made me so angry with your boss! At least now we get to call the shots.
      Thanks for checking in. Likewise, I'll visit you often!
      Mel.

      Delete