Thursday 15 March 2012

Mothers Group...A social necessity?


I often wonder to myself; how many mums walk past a gathering of women cuddling their adorable little babies, prams parked nearby, sipping their latte’s and baby-chino’s in the local coffee shop, and feel a stirring of jealously? “I wish I was in that mothers group. They seem to be having so much fun”. I am one of those women.

After I had my baby, I couldn’t wait to join a mothers group. We had just moved to the area so we didn’t really know anyone and I was desperate for some adult interaction. Most of my friends from the city were childless and the ones who did have children lived far away.

I could feel the butterflies in my stomach as we walked to our first meeting. What would the other mums be like? Would they be my age? Would they be friendly? Could I see myself developing life-long friendships with these women?

At our first meeting I eyeballed about five women out of the nine that I thought, “yep, I’d like to have you as a friend”. Funnily enough, it is three of these women who I now keep in contact with occasionally. Unfortunately for me, these women have all gone back to work so it’s difficult to schedule a regular catch up.

The adorable Mother's Group babies.


But what happens when you don’t form any friendships with the other mums in your group? What happens when they don’t put in the same effort that you do when it comes to “catching up” and you’re left alone again?

This is the situation an acquaintance of mine was left in after her first child. She had moved interstate for her husbands work so mothers group was her only source of building potential friendships. Not one of the other mums seemed keen to meet regularly and so she was back to square one.

It can be such an isolating experience being a stay at home mum. I can vouch for the emotional roller coaster we often find ourselves on when friends with kids are not at hand to offer comforting support. It can be so difficult spending hour after hour with our baby (even though we love and adore them dearly) without the kindness of someone experiencing the same issues.

So what do you do when your mothers group doesn’t give you the support or friendships that you need? Well there’s Playgroup, but unless your little one is walking and talking to some extent, then Playgroup is a little premature. There are walking groups in some areas where mums can meet in a local park or walking track and spend time getting to know one another whilst burning off some calories. My son and I have started music lessons at Musicadabra and this has been a great source of adult interaction for me, meeting at least two really great mums.

I think it’s important for our single and/or childless friends to consciously remember that we still need them. I also strongly believe that every woman (or man) that we see in the park with their kids could be desperately searching for a new friend to call their own and we should always keep our hearts open to them.

Maybe it’s you? Maybe it’s me? Will you be my friend?



Please help support other mums and leave a comment about your experiences of trying to develop friendships after becoming a mum. It could really help someone.







13 comments:

  1. Aunty Wendy4:51 pm

    Have you tried your local library? Most run children's storytime once a week where even the smallest tots are welcome. This gives Mothers a chance to meet and form friendships as well as establishing good reading habits early on. The noise level in our local library is ignored by all the other patrons because it sounds so much fun in the children's room. I think many adults would love an excuse to join the singing and mime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunty Wendy! It's a great idea and one we've been thinking about for a while. Unfortunately the group reading session they run on a Thursday is right when we're in music class but that should change for next term. I'm really looking forward to it as he loves the library. It's such a great place to hang out!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think mothers groups are so important. I was so lucky to find a good one, or several good ones my area. They got me through those early months. I have since started a mothers group in Alstonville NSW with another lady and it has been a great success. We have about 12 regulars and I am sure people find it valuable to share what's going on with them. I would love to put this up on http://mothering.org and I thank you for contacting me! Zanni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zanni! You've given me the idea of starting a new mothers group myself! I'm so happy for you that you've got twelve lovely ladies to call upon.

      Delete
  4. I was the same as you! I was so looking forward to joining a mothers' group, and I loved every minute of mine. I had a bit of a different experience on my first day though, eyeing off two women I thought I didn't much like as they were talking about entering their babies in some sort of baby model agency... But they turned out to be great and we all got on well despite all being quite different. Unfortunately we didn't really keep in touch once we all went back to work, but I wish we had.
    Ah well, it was good while it lasted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a shame Jackie that you don't really keep in touch anymore. I've decided I'm going to start my own mother's group for that very reason!
      Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message. So glad you liked my post!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this post, Melissa.

    I was disappointed with my Mother's Group. We were never a very close group. Our meetings quickly dwindled within the first few years and after our kids turned 3, I think we hardly saw each other, and haven't had a scheduled catch up since. (Eldest Son is now 10.)

    But I have lots of friends who've had great mother's groups and have formed friendships that have only gotten closer over the past ten years. I think it's the luck of the draw!

    I felt, in the beginning, it was a valuable source though to exchange thoughts and concerns about our new babies. It was nice to get advice from others experiencing the same. I wished I'd developed a couple of good friendships out of it, but I have to say my school-made friends have more than made up for that. A friend of mine told me I'd make some of the best of friends through my sons' primary school, and I've definitely found that to be the case. So, now I don't miss those lost friendships through mother's group!

    I've found getting involved with my sons' school has only helped me to form friendships, so putting your hand up to help out at playgroups or the like can only help.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Jodie for your message. I'm sorry that your mothers group friendships didn't last forever but I'm so happy for you that you've been able to develop some great friends through school. I have a little while off yet before school starts but I'm really looking forward to the friendships I'll develop during those years.
    I'm so glad you enjoyed my post. Thanks again for taking the time to write!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't join a mother's group. When I had my first baby, I didn't even know they existed. At the time, all my friends were childless and working, and we only had one car which hubby took to work, so even getting out of the house couldn't happen spontaneously. Lucky my mum didn't live too far away and she would come to visit us. But I still felt extremely isolated. I went back to full-time work when my eldest was 9 months which completely changed life. After I burnt out and resigned from that job (!) my eldest had just turned two and we joined a playgroup. Then another. Then another. It was great to finally make new friends who live in our local area. I've now found a playgroup I love and I count some of those mums among my closest friends. Our kids go to school together now and my younger children are making new little friends at the playgroup too.

    Sometimes it takes a few attempts to find something that's right for you and your child(ren). But you know when it's right and those connections are a fantastic part of life. I wish you all the best in keeping old friends, but also making new ones :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Thought-provoking post. My memories of mothers group are not fantastic ones. They were friendly enough but I never felt I belonged there. I was the social outcast, having such a string of losses in my past - they are part of who I am and when I slowly began to share my story, they didn't really know what to do with me (treat me normally would've been nice!).

    When the second round of babies started, I actually found it too hard to stay in the group. I felt they weren't particularly supported one another but just meeting out of habit and I wasn't going to stick around and put myself through something dutifully "just because" I thought I was supposed to (and I did think I was supposed to!).

    We tried playgroup but, again, I was kind of cast out because they had been meeting together for so many years.

    In the end, despite the isolation I felt, I have to concede that making my own way with my daughter in arms - to things like Gymbaroo and library sessions and outings to the park with or without friends - was ideal. As soon as I stopped forcing myself to fit a mould, I was much more free and less questioning of myself and my ability to nurture my baby.

    Good luck everyone, do what feels right and what feels *good* most of all. It is different for each individual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mothers groups are funny things I find...you either click or you don't. I guess that is what happens when you are thrown together with a random group of strangers who may or may not only have one thing in common!
    I was lucky - they mothers group I ended up in has been great and while I have only made one very close friend from it I do have a group of women that I know I could contact at the drop of a hat if necessary and I count them all as friends.
    It diminished a little when we all went back to work but them picked up again when we all started having second children - some are even now on to their third.
    I have made more close friends through my local Australian Breastfeeding Association group and although these friends are different I have far more in common with these ladies due to shared parenting philosophies.
    My post tomorrow is sort of about Mothers Groups too.
    xxAndj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to thank you for your message. I had never occurred to me that mother's groups might get a resurgence of contact again when second children are born. I also hadn't thought of the Breastfeeding Association as a great place to meet other mums.
      I'm so glad you've found some great friends!
      I'd love you to reply with the link to your mothers group post. I'm sure others would love to read it also.

      Delete