Tuesday 13 March 2012

Why won't you wave at my son?


Why won’t you wave at my son as we pass you by? Can’t you see him? He’s the one in the pram with the biggest smile you’ve ever seen plastered across his gorgeous face. He’s the one waving at you with ounces of enthusiasm.

As we get closer to you, I see you look away. Why don’t you smile back? I’d understand perhaps if you were busy talking to someone else, or if you were on your mobile phone, but you’re not. I may have understood if we were on the busy streets of New York, but we’re not.

My son’s name is Max, and a few months ago he learnt how to wave. He doesn’t speak yet so this and his smile are the closest things he can do to communicate with other people. He loves meeting new people yet you turn away.

How do I explain that to him? Do I say that people are just too busy to be polite? Do I tell him that some people have no manners? How do I tell a small child that the person you are smiling and waving at doesn’t want to smile back?

Isn’t connecting with others food for the soul? Wouldn’t you rather make a child happy for a brief moment, and perhaps find happiness yourself, than be miserable whilst trying to bring others down into your dark pit of misery?

George Bernard Shaw once wrote, “The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them; that's the essence of inhumanity.” The Devil’s Disciple

Let’s make the world a better place, starting NOW. Just one smile, one wave, one good deed, each day, can and will make such a difference.  We’ll smile again at you tomorrow, and every day after that, until we break you, and you smile back. 



Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message!

No comments:

Post a Comment