Tuesday 10 April 2012

New friends!

Ah, the anticipation when you open a new book. Just like the smell of a new car, the clean, crisp pages invite you to experience a new and exciting journey.

I too have set off on a new journey. Earlier this year I announced to my husband that I was starting a blog. My husband works evenings which means I'm home alone, so unless I wanted to sit by myself in front of the television, like a lifeless blob, watching mind-numbing reality shows, I needed to start a hobby.

So akin to starting a new book, I eagerly threw myself into a world that I really knew little about.

In my previous posts, Mothers Group, A social necessity? and When friendships end, I recounted the difficulties of developing new friendships and the devastation of losing some.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would gain the friendships I have formed in just a short few weeks over the wonderful World Wide Web.


Do you find the difficulties with real life friendships are that obstacles get in the way? Your friends have children too. There's soccer practice. Kids fall sick. You only have one car. They live far away.  If you can overcome the obstacles, you might get lucky and catch up with your friend once every couple of months.

I have discovered that the most wonderful thing about the internet and blogging is that no matter when you have spare time, when you sit yourself down in front of that computer, your friends are there waiting for you. They may have left you a message, you can read about their latest experiences, or you could even meet that new friend just waiting around the corner!

Take for example Tork from torkona.blogspot.com. This kind new dad has decided to “unofficially” become my mentor. I Googled “dad blog” one day and came across his site. Like an awestruck school kid I emailed him asking for some simple advice and feedback.  What I received in return was like a virtual embrace!

Torkona

Then there is Mandy from A Little Space Like Home.  I don’t think she realizes but she was one of the first people to read my blog and comment on my posts. As a new kid on the block that’s like winning the Easter Egg raffle!

The very well known Eden from Edenland and the slightly lesser known Caroline from Park Confessional (who is about to give birth to her second child!) are the writers I aspire to. They are my industry standard. But both have taken the time to say hi and reciprocate my "LIKE"s and "TWEETS"which I believe is unwritten social media etiquette.

I'm someone who doesn't like to blow their own trumpet, so Zanni from Mother Ink grabbed one of my posts with both hands and shared it with her readers. Thanks Zanni!


And to all the readers who have taken the time to comment and make me realise I'm not just talking to myself here, THANK YOU!




Feeling like the new kid on the block is not much fun, but with the courtesy and kindness that these people have shown me, this new chapter of my life is set to be amazing!



Thank you so much to my new friends.

4 comments:

  1. :-)

    Glad to have helped. Cheers for the wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you started a blog with those motives. It will get you far. Real wins out, every time.

    ... and holy CRAP Melissa ... your African Adventure Series looks amazing! You are amazing!

    xx eden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Eden! Your words mean a lot.
      I'm now going to sit with a block of chocolate and read all about your trip!
      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. You are very welcome. As soon as I visited I knew I'd love coming back. I've been a bit slow on the reader over the school holidays but know that I'm around. lol.

    ReplyDelete