Tuesday 3 April 2012

When friendship ends

Close your eyes and think for a minute about your best friend. 

They are someone you share your deepest secrets with. A confidante. A person with whom you ride the crests and falls of the rollercoaster that we know as life.  When you’re feeling sad or lonely, it’s comforting to know that just a phone call away is someone who will lift you up and offer you hope.


Great friends are hard to come by, so if you're lucky enough to find one, you grab a tight hold and don't let go.

Until tragedy strikes. 
They die.


That’s it. They’re just not there anymore.


Like a thousand tiny shards of broken glass, the devastation threatens to scar you to the core.

Six months on and I still think of her.

You dial her number out of habit until you realise, you can’t speak to her anymore.

Then it hits you. 

It’s the rawness of the feelings that is the toughest. Storms of emotion threaten to knock you down like a pin in a bowling alley. 

First comes mourning. The sadness covers you like a thick, heavy blanket.  How will you ever be the same again? 

Then anger strikes like a snake. It squeezes you so tight that all hopes of happiness fade along with the stars behind your eyes. Anger leaves no room for other thoughts.

These are the feelings that curse through you when a close friend dies. 

Only in my story, our relationship died through disagreement.

"Why? How did this happen? Why?" It’s on repeat inside my head.

We were like a close-knit family. I was part of hers. I remember sitting in the warmth of the kitchen in our holiday house, frantically taking down the recipe of her mums delectable sausage rolls whilst our other halves reclined on the couch, their snores threatening to wake the neighbours.

A favourite writer of mine, Eden Riley, once wrote that there are seventeen sides to every story and that very accurately describes this tale. It’s a Rubik cube of "should have's". I should have said this. I should have called more to explain my side. I should have climbed to the roof top and screamed until she had to listen. But how many should have's are enough?

Whichever way you view it, I’m still mourning. I miss her. We were ten years.



But enough. Enough now. Life must go on.


We all need to be reminded of how much other people treasure us. If you're lucky enough to have a best friend, call her/him NOW and tell them how you feel about them. Before it's too late.







You are not alone. Leave your message below.

7 comments:

  1. Visiting from Tork's blog. (We have the same signature at the end of our posts! :) So glad to find a new blog)

    This post hit close to home. My best friend didn't die. But our circumstances changed dramatically, hers and mine. Almost overnight. (Well, it was overnight for her). Our rock solid, beautiful friendship fell apart Not because anyone did anything, but because our lives got in the way.

    I miss her. Desperately I miss us. I miss who I was with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Melissa for your honest and heartfelt comment. I'm sorry to hear about your friendship ending. It's so unfortunate when friends part ways, especially when they are the really close friendships you've formed over years and years.

      The great news is, there is always a new friend waiting for you, just around the corner!

      I can't wait to check out your blog!

      Delete
  2. Here from Digital Parents link.

    I have had both happen. Friendships that implode and hindsight gives you the clear vision of how toxic it really was. The loss of a beautiful, loving, wonderful friend to something just as toxic - leukaemia.

    One of my very dearest for 23 years, the gap is huge and I hear her voice in my heart every day.
    If this was a true misunderstanding try again. If something happened ( and by God, bad things do happen to good people) would you want to live with the "if only"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your beautiful comment. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend.
      In our circumstance I think we had started to drift apart as our "lives got in the way".
      My only hope is that one day I will find someone who could share as much as we did together.
      I have hope.

      Delete
  3. Hi Melissa,
    What a well writtenpost. I let go of my best friend last year. She had changed in her behaviour and ethics so much and so placed me in danger.. I had to let her go. My stomach still hits the floor twhen I see her in the supermarket or at school.It hurts, but it was the right decision. She used to say "frinds are here for a reason, a season or a lifetime" and I finally accept that she is a season friend and a reason friend, but not a lifetime. It's ok. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I can't believe how many typos are in that reply LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment and for liking my post. Once I started writing it the words just flooded out, as did some tears!
    I don't think I could bear seeing her again in my daily travels. That must be so hard!
    I'm excited about the future friends that I am yet to meet though.
    Thanks so much for reading.

    ReplyDelete