Tuesday 22 May 2012

The sister I never knew I had



It was just shy of my second birthday when my mother gave birth to my sister, Simone. I was over the moon, (apparently). I was gentle, affectionate, caring, and adoring of my little baby sister.

As time passed we developed a wonderful relationship. As sisters do, we shared secrets, played dress ups and choreographed our own silly dance routines. I remember when we were seven or eight we used to share a bedroom and we would giggle uncontrollably after lights out until one of our parents would storm in yelling, “WILL YOU BE QUIET AND GO TO SLEEP!”

We both shared a love of dancing. She supported me when I played in piano recitals and I would cheer from the crowded sidelines when she competed for NSW in rhythmic gymnastics.

Then everything changed. 

We started high school. (insert embarrassing high school photo, I think not!)

As so often happens, high school turned us both into miserable, moody bitches. I became a bit of a goody two shoes, withdrawing from my embarrassing sibling, whilst my sister became an all black wearing rebellious teen.

We fell out. 

At 18 she moved away. I stayed. Living in different states we drifted apart. Sure we spoke sometimes on the phone but they were never the kinds of conversations you’d have with a best friend.

Then after many, many years, we both found ourselves married with kids. And all of a sudden, we were best of friends again.

We gabbed about the colour of poo, dinner recipes for fussy toddlers and the secrets we keep from our husbands. (No honey, I just made that up for the sake of the story, honest)

It’s desperately unfortunate for both of us that we still live in different states, but the fact that we can pick up the phone on any given day and be there for each other makes my heart smile.

I’m eternally grateful for my beautiful sister, the sister I never truly knew I had until I opened my eyes. (Sorry if I've made you cry Sim.)


4 comments:

  1. That's beautiful, Melissa. It did bring a tear to my eye :-)

    Your post is very close to home for me. My sister and I were very close until early adulthood when she stopped talking to everyone in our family. We lost touch for a few years, important years, when weddings were happening and babies were being born. About three years ago, she got back in touch. We can't get those years back, but I'm so thankful we have a relationship again now, even if it is very different to the way things were growing up. (It's not something I blog about as it's not only my story to tell - it affects too many other people).

    Sisters are so important. They are irreplaceable. I'm drilling that into my daughters on a daily basis, even though they are only little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've rekindled part of your relationship with your sister. You're right, it can never be the same, but to be able to talk with each other is a massive step forward. So many people don't talk to their siblings and I think it's very sad.

      So glad you liked my post!

      Delete
  2. such a nice story. we all go through ups and downs, the fact that you have each other right now is what is important.
    I always craved a sister. thank goodness I now have the best sister in law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just beautiful.
    Sisters have a magical bond I think. Even when they annoy each other or have little in common it's still a strong bond. Growing up my sister and I fought a lot but we were close and are very close now as adults. We don't see each other as often as I'd like as we live on different sides of the same city and our schedules are very different. But we message/tweet/Facebook daily.
    I always remember when I was in my twenties and spent 4 years overseas, to my surprise it was my sister who I missed the most.

    I see the same bond now in my twin girls - they are so, so close and I hope always will be.

    ReplyDelete