Wednesday 9 May 2012

Why the "Man Drought" is a load of rubbish.



Apparently we are in the driest depths of a “man shortage”.

Recent studies reveal there are only 86,000 men for 1.3 million women across Australia.


Some sources (who I will not name) have suggested that women stop being so fussy, stop looking for Mr. Right and start saying yes to “Mr. Not So Bad”

Let me start by saying that this is complete bullshit.

Firstly, news reports failed to make it clear that these “eligible” men were only in the age bracket of 25 to 34 and had to have an income of over $60,000. So basically, all those gorgeous younger men were excluded, the distinguished older men were eliminated, and any man in the age bracket who may be wonderful but earn slightly less than 60k a year were entirely forgotten about.

What about the men who are finishing their studies to become doctors, lawyers, and other respected professionals? What about the handsome foreign men with intoxicating accents who have made Australia their home (for now)? My sister and two girlfriends all married English men who were here on holidays. Those men wouldn’t have been counted in the 86,000.

Then don’t even get me started on this ridiculous idea that we should look for “Mr. Not So Bad” rather than Mr. Right. I agree, that there is no such thing as Mr. Right. All men have flaws, as do most women (I hate to say). But there is most definitely a “Mr. Right For Me”, for everyone.


My husband doesn’t really like me telling this story, but I tell it for a very good reason. When I first met him, we were only ever friends. For two years I didn’t think of him as a potential boyfriend/husband! The reason I like recounting this to people is simple. My “Mr. Right For Me” was IN FRONT OF MY EYES and I didn’t even know it! It just wasn’t the right time for me. It wasn't until I was 36 that we started dating.

I have a BEAUTIFUL girlfriend who is in her early 30’s, and is still single. She is attractive, beautiful on the inside, intelligent, funny and the most caring woman you could ever meet. Now the idea that she is being too fussy really irks me. Why the hell should we settle? I would rather be happy and single than be miserable and in the wrong relationship.

I have no doubt whatsoever that my girlfriend, and all the single ladies out there, will meet their "Mr. Right For Me". It’s just a matter of time.

It’s easy to say, but still hard to accept when you’re the one waiting for him. 


I spent an eternity kissing toads, but it was absolutely worth it for the Prince I have captured!







To discover why I love my husband, head to My Wedding Speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment