Thursday 19 April 2012

An old lady? When did this happen?

Can you see the lady at her desk? Usually reserved for books and paperwork, tonight she is sitting on the wicker chair, sewing pieces of fabric together on her sewing machine, with a level of detail reserved for professional seamstresses.

There she sits, her feet enveloped within her fluffy bed socks, warm against the cool chill of the wooden floor boards. Her foot ever so gently presses down on the foot pedal, making sure she gets the stitches just right.

You see the project she is working on is a very important one. A beautiful pink and red patchwork quilt for a new baby in the family.

This is not the first quilt she has made. No. This will be number four. A newfound craft that she takes pleasure in, that helps fill her evenings with interest and delight, rather than watch the television.

Are you imagining an elderly lady? Perhaps she is wrapped in a robe, hair ten shades of grey?

NO! IT'S ME!

Why is it then, that when I take a look at myself of an evening, sitting at my sewing machine, trying to create something beautiful and personal for my sisters baby, do I feel as though all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I’ve turned into an old woman?

I have not exaggerated my description. Yes I wear fluffy bed socks. Hey, my feet get really cold! But have I really turned into an old woman?

My last quilt, "Field of Flowers" is my favourite!

My new love of making patchwork quilts is one I don’t tell many people. And if I do, I reiterate, as I will to you now, that I like to make the modern style ones, shabby “French Chic” and Flossie Teacake's beautiful baby quilts. I am very proud of them, and I’m proud to say that my husband supports me in my new hobby (even though he also likes to make fun). He sometimes ask's if I’d like to take a drive to Berry, “you know, to go to that shop you like, and buy some fabric”. God love him.

So this is me. Getting older. (oh, and happy to take orders!)

All of a sudden, have you found you've become an older version of yourself?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:51 pm

    I Love it Mel!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, never to young for sewing.

    ReplyDelete